Eye Doctor in Dallas, Texas
With spring just around the corner, there’s no better time to learn about managing those uncomfortable eye allergy symptoms that pop up when the weather gets warmer. While eye allergy symptoms can negatively affect quality of life, they are often treatable. If you or a loved one is suffering from eye allergies, call Eye Pieces Dallas for an eye exam to get the relief you seek.
What Are Eye Allergies?
Allergic conjunctivitis, or eye allergies, are the eyes’ response to various allergens and irritants that tend to be airborne.
Symptoms and Causes of Eye Allergies
Some eye allergy symptoms include:
- Itchy, red eyes
- Watery eyes
- Irritated or painful eyes
- Sneezing or runny nose
- Swollen eyelids
Eye allergies can be triggered by both airborne and non-airborne allergens. Some of most common include:
- Pet dander
- Dust mites
- Skin care products
5 Tips To Manage Eye Allergy Symptoms
- Clear the air of allergens by using air filters on all of your cooling systems. Keeping your home as clean as possible will also help reduce airborne allergens.
- Use cold eye compresses to alleviate symptoms. You can either purchase a cold eye compress at your local drugstore or easily make one at home. Soak a clean, soft washcloth in cold water, wring it out, and place it over closed eyelids for a few minutes at a time or until it is no longer cool. The coldness will help to soothe irritated eyes and reduce swelling.
- Try removing your contact lenses, as they can attract and accumulate allergens and irritants on their surfaces. Switching to glasses or daily disposable contacts during allergy season may help to reduce your symptoms.
- Use medicated eye drops to reduce redness and itching. There are over the counter options as well as prescription eye drops, which can be prescribed by Dr. Nguyen. Antihistamine, anti-inflammatory, multiple-action, and decongestant eye drops can all help manage eye allergy symptoms.
- Wear protective eyewear while outdoors, such as wraparound glasses, to shield your eyes from direct contact with airborne irritants and allergens. Opt for eyewear with larger lenses that provide fuller coverage.
We Can Help Treat Your Eye Allergies
Eye allergies can be bothersome, but they don’t have to be. An eye exam with Dr. Nguyen can help diagnose the underlying cause of your symptoms and determine the best treatment to alleviate any discomfort.