Emergency Eye Care in Dallas, Texas
What are Eye Emergencies?
Eye trauma refers to an eye injury caused by a direct blow that causes damage to the eye, adjacent tissue, or surrounding bone structure. Eye traumas can occur in a number of ways, such as punches, a blow from a ball, or flying objects. The severity of eye trauma can range from minor to emergency. However, in all cases, one should seek medical attention and call Dr. Nguyen as soon as possible.
What Are the Symptoms of Eye Trauma?
When the eye is forcefully impacted, blood collects underneath the affected area, potentially causing any of the following symptoms:
- Troubled vision
- Visible blood in the eye
- Protruding eye
- Reduced mobility in the injured eye
Other eye trauma symptoms include:
- Cut in the eyelid
- Unusual size or shape of the pupil
- Something embedded in the eye or underneath the eyelid
If you’ve suffered an eye trauma, make sure to immediately seek medical attention. In the event of minor eye trauma, there are several things you can do to prevent more damage until examined by your eye doctor.
Home Care For Ocular Traumas
While you await medical attention, it’s important to prevent further damage and thus further harm.
- Never touch, rub, or apply any pressure to the eye
- Don’t attempt to remove a foreign substance from the eye
- If the eye has been cut or an object is stuck in the eye, place something protective (such as a paper cup) on the surrounding bone of the eye
- Do not apply ointments or medications to the eye – they can often exacerbate the condition
- In the event of a black-eye, a cold compress may be applied to decrease swelling and promote healing
- Never use dry cotton (cotton balls or swabs) or sharp objects (such as tweezers) near the eye area
Emergency Treatment For Eye Trauma
We can’t stress this enough – call Eye Pieces Dallas to have Dr. Nguyen examine your eye injury. When you call, make sure to tell us about the injury and please ask any questions you may have.
Our staff is trained to assess the patient’s condition in specific ways and offer specialized care that one wouldn’t receive in an ordinary urgent care facility. We can help with extracting foreign objects, prescribing medicine, bandaging the eye, and if necessary, refer you to another practitioner for surgery or other procedures.
Don’t delay calling – the earlier you seek treatment, the better your chances are for recovery and preserving your vision. Call us at Eye Pieces Dallas in Dallas for any eye emergency – we’re here to help.