Contact Lenses & Eye Care in Dallas, Texas
For those who need vision correction but don’t want to wear glasses or undergo LASIK surgery, contact lenses are a great option. Yes, there are many types of contact lenses to choose from. The list below will take the guesswork out of navigating the various options. Speak with Dr. Nguyen and the friendly staff at Eye Pieces Dallas to select the best contact lenses for your eyes.
4 Contact Lens Categories
- Soft lenses are made from hydrogels (water-containing plastic) that are very thin, soft, pliable, and easily hug the surface of the eye.
- Silicone hydrogel lenses resemble regular soft lenses, though they're more porous, allowing for more oxygen to reach the eye. These are by far the most commonly prescribed contact lenses in the United States and Canada.
- Gas permeable (GP) lenses are rigid lenses. They allow for the passage of oxygen, rendering them more comfortable than regular hard contacts. These lenses tend to be as comfortable as soft lenses (after the initial adjustment period) and often provide better optics.
- Hybrid contact lenses have a rigid center with a flexible outer rim that tend to provide the same sharp vision offered by GP lenses, but with the comfort of soft lenses.
Apart from their material composition, contact lenses can also be categorized by wear-time and other features.
Contact Lens Wear Time and Replacement Frequency
Contact lenses are often selected according to preferred wear time and replacement frequency.
Daily contact lenses are removed at night, while the extended-wear contacts are worn day and night without removal, usually for a period of 7-30 days.
All contact lenses require proper hygienic care and need to be replaced periodically to avoid irritation or infection.
- Daily disposable lenses are worn during the day and discarded before bedtime. A new pair is inserted the next day.
- Weekly/ Monthly disposable lenses are to be replaced every two weeks at the latest. Others can be replaced every month or quarter.
- Traditional/reusable lenses are discarded every six months.
Contact Lenses For Every Eye Type
Contact lenses come in several design features that accommodate almost every eye condition.
- Certain contact lenses, such as scleral lenses, can help treat dry eye syndrome (DES) and benefit those with corneal irregularities, all the while providing comfort and sharp vision.
- Those with astigmatism or farsightedness (presbyopia) may choose bifocal contact lenses.
- Multifocal contacts help to slow the progression of myopia (nearsightedness) in children.
- Prescription colored contact lenses are great for those who wish to experiment with different eye colors.
- Spherical contacts are used to treat hyperopia, myopia, and presbyopia.
- Toric lenses can also benefit patients with astigmatism and provide clearer vision than standard contact lenses.
- Varifocal lenses can also be worn by those that are farsighted, thus eliminating the need for reading glasses.
- Monovision lenses are used to treat presbyopia by strengthening the eye-brain connection.
Schedule a contact lenses eye exam and fitting to achieve clear and comfortable vision with contact lenses. Our eye doctor and professional eye care staff at Eye Pieces Dallas in Dallas will happily help you choose comfortable contact lenses that best suit your eyes and lifestyle.
Visit Eye Pieces Dallas in Dallas, Texas
Our office is located at 3699 McKinney Ave, Ste. 321, Dallas, Texas, 75204. Please enter your zip code or city, state below for door-to-door directions.
Your ZIP code: